Friday, May 20, 2011

Orlando - Home of Disney where Dreams really DO come true!

Last Weekend, my mom, boyfriend (Caleb) and I headed down to Orlando for a short 4-day vacation before the summer season truly started. My mom has a real knack for planning trips and finding great deals, so the airfare was cheap, the hotel was cheap, and we had a lot of fun at the amusement parks planned! Of course, when packing I included way too much, bought even more, and didn't wear half of it - but it's always nice to have choice... right? The trip was fabulous. My mom and Caleb really had a chance to bond and get to know each other, and the whole trip was so much fun. 


Now, onto the point of this post. Many people tend to build stuff up in their heads, and then be disappointed by the results. My question is, is Disney one of those things? When looking at the Disney website, and planning all the rides I wanted to go on and shows I wanted to see, I could feel a smile stretching across my face farther than it had in weeks. The stress of school, finding an apartment for next year, and packing to go home had me somewhat down, but the prospect of going to Disney was somehow able to reverse all those feelings and get me excited and happy.


When we first arrived in Orlando, I was excited and rushed through getting ready so we could hit Magic Kingdom right away. The first thing I noticed was how truly 'American' it was. There were little children running around - crying and demanding ice cream and chicken nuggets, overweight parents attempting to run after them, people taking photographs of every little thing, and almost no one just taking in all the magic that is Disney! My first thought was - uh oh, I built it up in my head, and it is going to be disappointing. However, that did not turn out to be the case. I have come to the conclusion that despite all the crowds, and how American it all was, I am as big a fan of Disney as ever. As the trip continued, we had more and more fun experiences. Although we had to wait in lines, and deal with people EVERYWHERE, Disney is what you make it - and I loved every second of it. Sure, some parts were disappointing, and there was definitely a lack of more 'adult' rides (Caleb was not so keen on that - he just wanted to move onto the adventure rides at Universal Studios), but I don't regret spending 3 days in the different parks at all. Disney has always been a big part of my life - I still enjoy the movies to this day, and going to the parks just reminds me how much I have always loved Disney, and always will. 




Caleb and I at the entrance to Magic Kingdom




So I guess what I am trying to say is - if you build something up in your head, its your responsibility to make that experience all that you want it to be. Don't let yourself be disappointed; pick out the good things and focus on that - blocking out the negatives. Life is what you make it, and if you want your dreams to come true... Make it happen! Until next time, live through the lens!





No comments:

Post a Comment